Generally, the colleges are exempt from Sales tax except in California and thus sellers should not charge sales tax.
– If Amazon was the seller:
- Call (888-280-9552) to have the sales tax refunded
– If 3rd party seller:
- On amazon.com go to “Your Account” and to “Your Orders”.
- Find the item that was charged tax and click the “Contact the Seller” button.
- Enter as the subject “Tax Exemption Refund Request”.
- Include the order number and amount of sales tax charged.
- The seller is required to respond within 72 hours.
- They may ask for some additional information, if not, they typically just issue the refund.
- If you have any issues contacting the seller, or other questions, contact the Amazon tax team at (888) 280-9552.