Amazon is charging me sales tax – what do I do?

Generally, the colleges are exempt from Sales tax except in California and thus sellers should not charge sales tax.

– If Amazon was the seller:

  • Call (888-280-9552) to have the sales tax refunded

– If 3rd party seller:

  • On go to “Your Account” and to “Your Orders”.
  • Find the item that was charged tax and click the “Contact the Seller” button.
  • Enter as the subject “Tax Exemption Refund Request”.
  • Include the order number and amount of sales tax charged.
  • The seller is required to respond within 72 hours.
  • They may ask for some additional information, if not, they typically just issue the refund.
  • If you have any issues contacting the seller, or other questions, contact the Amazon tax team at (888) 280-9552.